2016 Alcatraz swim dates to Aquatic Park, San Francisco
Swim dates charted for 2016
- Sharkfest - Saturday, August 13, 2016, 8:45am Jump
- Escape From The Rock Duathlon - Saturday, August 27, 2016, 8:00am Jump
- Swim With The Centurions - September 10, 2016, 7:30am Jump
- Dolphin Club - Saturday, September 10, 2016, 8:10am Jump
- South End Rowing Club Invitiational - Saturday, September 10, 2016, 8:30am Jump
- Dolphin Club's Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon - Saturday, September 24, 2016, 7:50am Jump
- Worst possible time - Sunday, May 8, 2016, 4:15am Jump (4 knot ebb)
- Enter your swim speed.
- Select your swim date.
- Press the "Start Swim" button.
- Optional controls:
- 'Pause/Continue' during swim animation
- 'Restart Swim' from beginning
- 'Change Jump Location' toggles 2 locations
- Tidal data taken from NOAA current predictions south of Alcatraz island.
- Assume current speeds vary on a sinusoidal curve.
- Assume current speeds are uniform across the swim zone, and are moving only due east or west.
- Assume constant swim speed (swimmer does not tire).
- Two common Alcatraz jump locations are plotted. Default is 'Barker Beach' on the central west side of the island, 1.1 miles due north of the cove entrance, 1.33 miles to shore. The second swim jump location is on the southeast corner of the island near the "Warning" sign. This location is often used on swims with a strong ebb.
- Animation is 400 times faster than real time.
- Built in HTML5 with Sublime Text, BBedit, and Google Web Designer.
- Actual results may vary.
ArchivesContact me. Sponsored by Papaya.net and the Dolphin Club.